How it Works:
Glycolic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid (fruit acid) derived from sugar cane and it’s one of the most widely used peel ingredients for the treatment of photo ageing – or sun damaged skin.
The treatment begins by removing all impurities and oils – a cleansing process which is followed either by an exfoliation or degreasing step. Oils might prevent the penetration and action of the peel on your skin so this step is important to the success of the treatment. Our exfoliator contains Cathepsin D – an ingredient that mimics the exfoliating enzyme found in your skin.Cathepsin D only removes dry, denatured skin cells, which makes it particularly safe to use in all peel treatments.
This preparation phase is followed by the application of the Alpha peel solution which is applied with a brush. The gentler Alpha peel 20 concentration is applied in the same way as the stronger Alpha peel 30.
During and directly after application you might experience a tingling, itchy sensation which will quickly dissipate and soon become more comfortable. The peel will only be on your skin for a maximum of five minutes and as with any time dependant chemical peel, it must be neutralised to stop its action. By applying a neutralising agent all the active peel molecules are changed to salts. This chemical reaction produces heat so a quick tingle is very normal during this phase of the treatment.
The neutralisation process is followed by a short massage at which point the skin is soothed and calmed and lost oils are replaced.
Depending on where you go, it’s not uncommon for a signature treatment to include: face, neck and shoulder massage, serum and mask, extractions and deep cleanse, eyebrow tint and plucking. The application of moisturiser and sunscreen completes the treatment.
After your treatment
- Your skin will feel hydrated, plump and glowing. A little redness may be visible directly after the treatment but it will dissipate very quickly.
What to expect in the week after your treatment
- The morning after the treatment your skin may feel a little tight and dry, and even feel slightly heat sensitive.If this is the case, add more moisturiser to your skin. Typically though, you can continue with your daily routine. If however your skin feels very dry – immediately contact your skin care therapist. You may need to use one of the Serra products or Lamelle Barrier Repair cream for a few days.
Special care post-treatment
- Protect your skin by avoiding sun exposure and apply your sunscreen every morning.
- No treatments for 14 days on the treated area. This includes waxing, peels and laser or IPL treatments and micro needling.
- Do not exfoliate for 10 days after the treatment. This includes toners and cleansers that contain alpha hydroxy acids.
- Only start using your retinoid (Vit. A) containing products on the evening of day six after your treatment.
Home Product Suggestions for Ageing Skin:
- The Lamelle Nourish range of products for prevention of further ageing
- The Lamelle Dermaheal range of products to treat the indications that ageing has begun
- Corrective Hydrating HA Plus
- Corrective Recharge CE Concentrate
- Corrective RA Cream
- Correctives Brightening Serum
- Corrective Cathepzyme 1 or 2